Please visit this page regularly, as it will be updated with information about Convocation and Diploma Ceremonies as it becomes available.
Convocation & Diploma Ceremony Events
The Annual University Convocation Ceremony begins on the Main Quadrangle, where all candidates from the College and division and schools gather for the morning conferal of degrees. Candidates will be welcomes by University faculty, staff, Dean of Students, the President and Provost. Dean John W. Boyer will present the College class, and President Robert J. Zimmer will verbally confer degrees.
In the afternoon, students will participate in a College Diploma Ceremony. These eight concurrent ceremonies will take place, organized by Residence Hall and presided over by the Resident Deans.
For a list of all deadlines and dates in Spring Quarter, including Senior Week and the Class Day celebrations, please review our Important Dates and Deadlines.
|7:00 a.m.||The Main Quadrangle opens to all guests. Seating is first-come, first-served.|
|Candidate Line-up. The College: Bartlett Quadrangle.|
|9:00 a.m.||All guests are requested to be in their seats as the candidate procession begins.|
|9:15 - 11:00 a.m.||The 531st Convocation begins.|
|11:00 a.m.||Candidates and guests depart for lunch and division and school ceremonies at the residence hall community location with which you are affiliated.|
|11:45 a.m.||Graduate line up for procession.|
|12:15 p.m.||Diploma Ceremonies begin.|
|1:00/1:30 p.m.||Ceremony end time.|
|2:00/2:30 p.m.||Post- Diploma Ceremony Receptions|
Additional questions regarding the University-wide Convocation ceremony can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Residence Hall Diploma Ceremony Affiliation
All graduating students will be assigned to a diploma ceremony location based on the last hall of residence. You will find your assigned hall for the diploma ceremony when you login to apply for graduation.
In the event that a student did not live in the residence halls or the building of last residence is no longer housing undergraduates, the College partnered together with College Housing to identify an assignment. If you would like to request a different hall for the diploma ceremony, you may submit the Residence Hall Diploma Ceremony Affiliation Petition. Reasons typically considered for changing location include: resided in more than one hall, sibling receiving their diploma from the University at another hall, and service as a resident assistant in another hall.
Hall Locations (for maps to location see the Convocation Brochure)
- Burton-Judson Courts: Midway Skating Rink
- Campus North Residential Commons - East: North Campus Lawn (between East 55th Street and East 56th Street)
- Campus North Residential Commons - West: Crerar Quadrangle
- International-House & Stony Island: International House Lawn
- Max Palevsky Residential Commons: Main Quadrangle
- Renee Granville-Grossman Residential Commons - East: Midway Plaisance Northeast (between East 59th Street and Midway Plaisance North)
- Renee Granville-Grossman Residential Commons - West: Midway Plaisance Northwest (between East 59th Street and Midway Plaisance North)
- Snell-Hitchcock Hall: Snell-Hitchcock Hall, Courtyard
Convocation to Diploma Ceremony Walking Maps
- Burton Judson Courts
- Campus North Residential Commons-East
- Campus North Residential Commons-West
- International House/Stony Island
- Max Palevsky Residential Commons
- Renne Granville-Grossman Residential Commons-East
- Renne Granville-Grossman Residential Commons-West
- Snell Hitchcock Hall